Monday, March 26, 2012

But are they just simply songs? Welcome to the blog

While conceiving of the blog, I came down to central question about music: But are they just simply songs? Internally I answered resoundingly "No!" For me music is like literature. And for those who do not know, I am an English major, so I spend a good amount of my time considering the worth of the written value. I consider if it has an value that contributes to the greater story of humanity? Does it capture something that is both rooted in a time and timeless? Is it said by one person but speaks for all of us?

And those are the same questions I ask of music. Now I do enjoy a good pop song now and again. They are fun to sing along to while driving or hanging out with friends. But when I want to put to use my mind's full intellectual functions, I listen to music that satisfies some of the same requirements I have for literature. Mainly, does it make me think? Am I left to ponder it after it concludes. The next time I hit play on my ipod or computer, am I doing so because I want to enter back into a world of its own and bask in its glory?

As for this blog, I envision it being a few things. Inspired by the website "1000 Awesome Things", I will catalog songs I believe that others must know about/ give a listen. These songs will be both classic and current. Also, I will offer commentary on various other musical thoughts of mine. For example, things I would love to see happen in music but will probably never happen. Or share an album review for a new release by a modern band. Compare it with what has come before and what I believe is to come. I only ask that my readers are open to my words and the music they attempt to do justice to. For if a person has an open ear, then his or her mind will follow suit.

Please enjoy,
Nick Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment